Toddler breakfast can be the hardest meal, especially when it comes to anything healthy. That leaves us parents to have to get creative. That’s where this oatmeal bite recipe comes into play, our toddlers get all the nutrition they need in a staple breakfast item they will love.
You can adjust this recipe many different ways with different fruits, I’ve made strawberry and blueberry as well but this seems to be a favorite in my house.
- 2 overly ripe bananas (the browner they are the sweeter they are)
- 1/4 cup nut butter (we use peanut)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup of milk of choice (we use unsweetened almond)
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- cinnamon (measure with your heart, I normally let my toddler help with this part)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (this isn’t needed, just makes it sweeter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix milk and flaxseed, set aside
- Add bananas to the bottom of your large bowl and mash
- Add oats, and nut butter then mix well
- Add apple sauce, maple syrup (if you are using), cinnamon and vanilla
- Add milk mixture and stir until well combined
- Pour mixture into mini muffin pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden
This is a quick and easy staple that your toddlers are bound to love while getting almost all of the food groups they need in a meal. All thats really missing is a veggie which could be snuck in if you really wanted, I have added spinach without it being noticed a few times.
My toddler loves these served with fruit and yogurt, but they can be great on their own as a snack too.
These are great in the refrigerator for about a week and can be frozen for up to 3 months which adds to the convenience.
We started offering these to my son around nine months after he learned to chew well and they have been a favorite since.
Let us know in the comments below if you try these out with your littles or if you switch up the recipe to try something little different.
[…] you didn’t already know, you can find articles from me on imthatmom.com now too, I would love for you to check them […]