If you are pregnant you may be wondering what nesting during pregnancy is, why does it happen , and if you will experience it. Nesting is something that many women have heard of happening during pregnancy but you may not understand it completely.
What is it:
Nesting is the urgency to clean and organize your home in preparation for your new baby. It generally occurs during the last few weeks of pregnancy. You might wake up one morning and feel like you have a burst of energy to get stuff done. On the other hand, some women never experience the nesting urge and that is also completely normal… So don’t worry if you don’t experience the nesting desire.
Why we do it:
The actual “cause” of nesting is considered unknown but it is often due to hormonal changes during pregnancy. It can also be triggered due to:
- Excitement and anticipation
- Realizing you may not have time to get certain things done once your baby has arrived
- Desire to take control of your baby’s environment
Precautions to take while nesting:
It can be easy to become overwhelmed and overworked during the nesting stage, so make sure that your are staying sensible. Things to avoid during nesting:
- Lifting Heavy objects
- Climbing ladders
- Using harsh and toxic cleaners
- Not getting enough rest
Way to safely nest:
During the nesting stage there are several ways you can make use of your extra energy safely. Here are some nesting recommendations:
- Get caught up on laundry
- Restock the fridge and pantry
- Prep some freezer meals
- Deep clean (within reason, listen to your body)
- Take advantage of your extra energy during the nesting stage, but most importantly make sure you are not overworking yourself.
Comment below if you experienced nesting during your pregnancies. What are some ways that you nested in preparation for you new baby?