Looking for a way to make Christmas breakfast magical? These breakfast casseroles are my trick to make ahead so I can soak up the memories, snuggles, smiles, and joy on Christmas morning with my kids and family without being stuck in the kitchen the entire day!
Something Savory: Sausage, Egg, and Grit Casserole!
Make this the night before and you’ll thank me later!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound of mild sausage
- 1 pound of hot sausage (trust me this is what sets it apart!)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In a large bowl, combine grits, sausage and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Beat the eggs and milk; stir into grits mixture. Add the butter, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Something Sweet: Cinnamon Roll Casserole!
French Toast Bake
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cans of cinnamon rolls (I prefer the ones from Lidl, but any other brand will work!)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup maple syrup (optional as topping)
Cream Cheese Icing
Now here is where my recipe differs from many others online.
THROW OUT THE YUCKY Icing that comes with the cinnamon rolls and quickly whip up your own from scratch!
- Cream cheese block (4 ounces)
- Butter (1/2 stick)
- Heavy Cream (2 cups)
- Powdered Sugar (2 tablespoon)
- Vanilla (1 tablespoon)
- Mix all together and spread over the Cinnamon Roll Casserole when it’s done baking. Pro-Tip add some right when it comes out of the over and then add a bit more right when you plate it up!
- Heat oven to 375°F. Pour melted butter into ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Separate both cans of dough into 16 rolls; set icing aside. Cut each roll into 8 pieces; place pieces over butter in dish.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs. Beat in cream, cinnamon and vanilla until well blended; gently pour over roll pieces. Drizzle with 1 cup syrup.
- Bake 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Mix up icing or have it already mixed in the fridge!
- Drizzle icing over top. Serve with the additional maple syrup if desired.
Make each of these one or two nights ahead and have them ready to pop in the oven on Christmas morning! Grab a cup of coffee and watch the kids open presents while they bake and fill your home with such a heavenly smell!
Seriously, the time saved will help you capture memories and enjoy the morning even more! Better still, grab cute plates, cups, and napkins from the Dollar Store or Target for easy clean up so you won’t spend Christmas Day cleaning either!